Wednesday, November 28, 2012

So you wanna be a cook...(pt 3 , big bites, small bites)

At the end of my last post I left you with thoughts on biting off more than you can chew. This is a very important aspect of cooking.

I realize I need to take a few steps backward with you, and I may edit my first post I might note this for future teaching, but trust me at this point this is important information!

What is your kitchen facility like? How many stoves? ovens? Sinks? Counters? How large are the aforementioned items? Where are you outlets? How is the wiring? (never thought this would make a difference until it did!). How many refrigerators? Do they work? Freezers? Storage space? Do they have a coffee maker? Do they have pots? What sizes? Serving equipment? Don't forget serving spoons, forks and knives!These are all questions you should have answers to before you tackle what still lies ahead? Visit the facility if you can, take notes! Take pictures! Ask Questions!

So, are we prepared? We have our information and research has given us oodles of recipes. Now what?

Now we see what is possible! Eliminate the improbable first. It may seem like a cool idea to serve a gilded cow head when you first hear of it but think about the cost, the time and the likelihood that someone will actually eat it, maybe not such a good idea after all. Weeding your prospects down isn't easy but it is essential. Rarely is there a kitchen with enough oven space that every remove can have an oven dish, or with enough stove space for 20 pots, especially large pots.

These are the things to keep in mind as you weed down your list.

I must cut this short, real life is interfering with me :)
     I will continue tomorrow...


No comments:

Post a Comment