Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Recipe mix up..

.. but still tasty!

I have been reading so many recipes lately they seem to be blending into one! Last night I tried out an egg tart from The Good Houswife's Jewel. I swear while I was in the store I remembered that the recipe called for a handful of green herbs to be tossed in, so I grab a package of each of what is fresh and off I go.

I get home and being prep, meaning I pull out the book and look at the recipe. No herbs. No herbs? I read it again, I double check the page and then check the other recipe I was going to do as well. No herbs! Of course I had already taken a bit from each and chopped them up, so I tossed them in anyway! Wasn't bad, but if an herb tart is what you want leave out the rosewater that is called for in the recipe and sweet/savory in this case do not really mix.

Any way, I will write here the original, what I did, and what is planned for next time.

Original:
     The Good Housewife's Jewel pg 76 A Tart of Eggs
Take twelve eggs and butter them together. Then strain them with rosewater; season it with sugar. Then put it into your paste. And so bake it and serve it with sugar upon it.

Me:
12 eggs beaten together (+2 egg whites so not to waste them from the paste)
about 2 Tbsp of rosewater
a handful of chopped green herbs (sage, chive, rosemary, parsley, dill)

Paste:
 1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter
2 egg yolks
2 Tbsp rosewater
Bake in a 170c - 180c convection oven for 30 - 40 min (I was bad and did not time exact)

Results were tasty though all the herbs settled on the top. Though this worked to our adavtage as we took off the top layer and sprinkled it with sugar to try and get a taste for the original.

Next time:
Next time skip the herbs! Increase Rosewater, likely double it, and add sugar. I will keep the paste as it was very tasty and a good compliment to the egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment