Monday, April 29, 2019

Post event thoughts

Arts in April iv is complete (OK I still have receipts to do but that is the last thing, promise).

It is always a pleasure to work with Anna and on this particular event it was a lot of just her and I hashing things out and making decisions.  It is only my opinion but I think we work well together. We have mutual trust, respect and love. These are rare things to find and so hold them fast!

My planning was done in advance and I was all set to go. Things got a little jumbled at times and other plans changed but as with most things it all works out in the end. Budget went over but there were price changes on ingredients that were sudden and unexpected. Specifically the beef for the bresaola It was about double the price I was expecting. It was ordered in advance and because I wasn't present when it was cut I couldn't stop her and say I only needed half the amount ( the pieces were long and could have been cut in half. . They were on the other hand the perfect width and thickness!

Multiplication of recipes is also never perfect and so there were leftovers of something and others went quite well.

I am over all happy with the way things went.

On personal notes: I was awarded 2 awards at the event. The first I was summoned from the kitchen for. And while someone came and retrieved my assistant to bring her in ... the cracked open the door between the hall and the kitchen and just yelled louder for me, lol! Feel the love... actually I did feel the love, all the love of the room when I walked into the hall to kneel before the Baron and Baroness. Everyone laughing and smiling as my hands were dirty, one from rolling meat the other from the batter for frying. At one point a very kind Aethstan came with a bowl and  towel for me to clean my hands, I chose to clean only the meat hand as the other was just going back into batter. To my surprise I was to be the third of the Barony to be given the Golden Book, The Knights Crossing A&S award. I was completely surprised and bewildered. I was in awe of the scroll and just completely overcome with the love.

During feast as is sometimes the want of their majesties to thank the staff, So... Anna and I went up front to represent the staff, as the space was small and all my kitchen helpers would not have fit and some requested not to be dragged into court at all. We were thanks and presented with some kind words and tokens for our efforts over the weekend, However it seemed their majesties had further business with me and so I was given into the company of the ring, the grant level of kingdom awards and as such was given into the company of the swan, the grant level A&S award. Again, Humbled and in awe of the scroll and the honor being bestowed upon me. and in tangent to this...

The award meant more to me in a much larger sense. I have been 'lobbying' for cooking to be taken seriously as an art and not dismissed as service for many years. I get that it is a service. A needed aspect of many events especially here in Drachenwald with the distances we travel etc... I honestly do what I do because I love it. I think those of us who cook especially are ones who do it out of love. If we didn't love it we wouldn't keep doing it, as is proven by the numbers of people who try but don't continue. This/ these awards to me mark an accomplishment not just for myself but for cooks in general. 


No comments:

Post a Comment