Thursday, April 18, 2019

Bay vs Bay

I have a recipe that calls for 'sweet powder', and this powder calls for 'Indian bay leaf', so when I first made it I read up on this Indian bay leaf and all descriptions just said it was not like the traditional bay leaf that we find in our grandma's beef stew recipes. Ya know that leaf you throw in and even really sure why except that the recipe calls for it. Most people toss it before serving the stew, but not in my family, in my family the lucky person with it in their bowl did the dishes, lol!

Anyhow, the first time I made it I substituted regular bay leaf for the indian bay life. I mean, close enough right? I couldn't find the Indian bay and looking on amazon did not occur to me. This time around though, this time, I went directly to amazon and found I could get it with little trouble, so I ordered  bit. It arrived quickly and when it did I was quite intrigued to find out what the hubbub is with it.

So, being daring I broke off a piece and stuck it in my mouth, and..... nothing. It tasted like nothing and I was quite disappointed, Then I decided, chew on it a bit, can't hurt. I'm so glad I didn't give up, the flavor is amazing! It was cinnamon and gingery and a little numbing in the mouth the way clove does. The more I chewed the more flavor I got. It was NOTHING like it's counterpart that we use. This stuff was flavorful and delicious. I look forward to making the 'proper' sweet powder and seeing how it enhances the other flavors of the dish

No comments:

Post a Comment