Saturday, April 13, 2019

Medieval chicken nuggets revisited

As said in my previous post I am revisiting some of my old recipes. Cleaning up some things, refining techniques, and just in general seeing when I can improve upon. Today was phase 2 of the medieval chicken nugget.

I had posted a basic recipe with my post about cooking them over a fire at Double Wars. I wasn't 100% satisfied then and I had questions.

Looking over the original I will have to do this again 😏 (oh how my heart breaks 😜 )

Here is what I have learned so far and the recipe I will use for the event.

3 chicken breasts boiled until soft (soft is important! This will take about an hour)
2 (125g ea) balls of mozzarella
35 gm grated parmesan
3 eggs
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/8 c sugar (that's 2 Tbsp) This can be upped to as much as 1/4 cup but I was going for less sweet

Boil the chicken until soft, cut into pieces, beat with an electric mixer. You can break it apart by hand but it is a lot of work!

Add the sugar, Cinnamon and cheese, beat it some more until well blended. Remember ultimately you are looking for  a paste consistency

add the eggs and beat some more! You want paste. If it is too dry add another egg or up to 3 egg yolks one at a time.

I put mine in the fridge overnight because I was tired. Tasted fine.

Portion into 1 Tbsp balls (I have a scoop that helps with this) I got 50! balls from the batch!

You need to have hot oil standing by in a fryer or heavy pan or cast iron. I used my cast iron frying pan 2/3 full of oil as that is what I had on hand. I could fit 10 balls in the pan with space for turning and proper cooking.

You need a batter of eggs and flour:

1 cup flour
4 eggs

This was enough to cover 40! of the balls. So I am thinking the ratio of 1/4 c flour per egg.

Your oil needs to be hot. Lightly coat the balls and put them in the hot oil. You are looking for golden brown all over, no pale spots. turn them as needed. i found that in my pan they would turn themselves! ( It was cool)

Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel. Serve!


OK, second experiment time. I fried my last 10 balls in the hot oil without coating them, YUM!!! Just fry them until they are deep brown so they are cooked through. This can be done as  gluten free option.

Third experiment: Reheating in an oven.
220c over under if using convection ( which my oven doesn't have, use 200c)

I tested both those that sat on a counter and those put in the fridge:
regardless of which you do 15-20 min in the over perks them up nicely!

1 comment:

  1. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly comeback.
    przepis na wegańskie nuggetsy

    ReplyDelete