Monday, August 26, 2019

Once more into the breach!

LOL, I was hit up by a friend in the US to help provide her a simple finger foods menu for a small gathering she is throwing. So, I will dig into the tarts some more and other simple things. she is a competent cook and I'm sure she could handle whatever I throw at her. I'm sort of enjoying these mini opportunities to do things in my 'down time' between planned events.

On the book front, I will start doing some extra testing of the recipes with Bridis in September and hopefully get a good jump on things with the recipes I have already re tested for AiA. I am thinking of double formatting the book with 3 columns. Column A in 'American measure', column B is the ingredients, and Column C is weight/ volume for the Europeans in my life. Now to see if I can the formatting as I like. i will need various amounts of the page in this 3 column style but not for the instructions. This will be a test of many skills and much learning. December might be asking too much but I will do my best.

Now on to less light hearted fun, Once more into the breach of ... well, I'm not sure what to call it.
This is a bit on the 'inside' of the hobby.

I was at a gathering and several of us were having an open discussion on peerage and vigils and other such things when I casually mentioned a protege group I am on. One of the members present 'Jumped my shit', at least that is how I felt, and began a line of questioning as to why I would be part of such a group, and who was my peer, and if I don't have a peer why was on the group. I answered all questions as best I could. No, I do not currently have a Pelican. I had been in a relationship prior to being taken as an Apprentice but the relationship was dissolved as the peer was no longer an active part of the SCA. I was accepted into the group because the admins said I could. I explained my situation and they felt I would be a welcome addition to their group. It is understood in the group that were I to become a peer (Laurel or Pelican) I would leave the group as it is intended for non peers only. I guess my trouble is, what is it to her if I am part of this group? I am not her apprentice, I am only casually associated with her, what does she care? And why does it bother me?

I am more than a cook, I am an artisan as well. I sew when I need to not because I have a passion for it. I can draft patterns, I have a pretty good eye for color and cut and spatial awareness. I embroider only for myself mostly. I enjoy a variety of arts and have a list of things I would like to try. I am MORE than a cook.

I am MORE! I serve, not always in the front, not always where it is seen. i go to events and like to enjoy myself. I may give service there in some for but I prefer to do the behind the scenes things. The things that keep the organization running. The things that get events off the ground. The things that not everyone sees. Hidden service is still service, and it is for this reason that I joined that group. To gather Ideas from other places that may help invigorate us here. To have a sounding board of others who view service the way I do. I am not a 'one trick pony' despite what outward appearances are.

I think I was upset most by the accusatory feeling I felt. Like I somehow didn't belong there because it wasn't my box. I have my Lindquist ring because I serve my Kingdom, I have my Wheel because I serve my Barony, I serve because it makes me feel good.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how much I understand the one trick pony problem. We seem to tend to much towards putting people in boxes and label them. And we most often miss the other opportunities that they have.

    ReplyDelete