Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Lost in translation

Or in other words, surviving cooking when no one speaks the same language..
I knew going in that there was going to be a language barrier but we had a plan. I would have a translator on hand to help. Someone who both spoke the language and understood medieval cooking. Little did we know this plan would be thwarted. My translator didn’t receive her passport in time and we needed a plan b. So, we winged it!

Olga was a huge help. Her English was good, especially in comparison to my Bulgarian. She was with me Friday morning through lunch and got me through. Supper was being cared for by others. When done for the day I mentioned grabbing a couple of people and doing some prep. I thought we had sorted it, so when I arrived at the kitchen to start and set off the alarm on the refrigerator I was a bit surprised. Yet again, plan b. Wing it and trust.

Saturday morning I got up early, way too early! There is a reason I don’t do breakfasts. I got to the kitchen to start. I was working with Valara and Maria. Two super sweet women who spoke no English, or German for that matter, but with hands and pointing we did amazing things. Lunch came out great! 
Then, shift change happened, and in came the “senior” cooks. Gone was the laughter and smiles. These women were serious and stern, they meant business. If I didn’t understand she just said it louder and slower. Thankfully in the office across from the kitchen was Albana. She was a huge help but I could still tell I was frustrating these poor ladies. I had tried to indicate one of the dishes needed more seasoning and when I took it in hand to demonstrate one of them visibly restrained herself from slapping my hand. Another strain was being questioned on the use of cinnamon on meat and being told no. She told me no. I tried to explain it was essential to the flavor. In the end she put cinnamon on but must have thought I was daft.
All in all things went well. There were a few oddities and surprises as I sat in the hall having the feast served to me. I ould hear the reactions around me and it was quite nice to see and hear immediate feedback.

All in all I would do it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment