Friday, October 4, 2013

A weekend away

OK to technically it wasn't over the weekend but the days add up to one :) I left Wednesday and went out for dinner, normal and boring enough but Thursday my laurel and I spent cooking experimental food. The day left us with some marvelous eats, a few recipes and some more questions to be answered, I call it a success!

Delving into Libra di Cucina:

A total of 8 recipes were tried or 5 depending on how you look at it. One of the recipes is a complicated multilayer tart comprised of a meat paste layer, 2 types of ravioli, fried chicken, dates and cheese. In order to make the one pie we had to work out 3 recipes. We roasted 2 chickens though I think between the 3 of us we only managed to eat 1/2 of one. This was to go with a raw sauce of spinach and ginger that worked out quite well and in the end was a perfect compliment for the chicken. The other meat dish was a roast with a sweet and sour sauce, it needs more work but what we made is a start. For starter we made stuffed eggs, quite OK but they unfortunately got a bit over cooked. We also had an onion tart, this is one of my "comparative studies" recipes. It does have a striking resemblance in flavor to that of Scappi's and despite not having a crust did not stick to the pan. It was quite soft but still tasty. Lat but not least was a "compost" recipe. Made from pears and soaked in vinegar I was amazed at how well this one worked of me, taste wise. It was like a strange sweet pickle that wasn't pickled.

I will add my beginning redactions and recipes after the true weekend as I will be away.

1 comment: