Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Home from Kingdom University

Some people think I am crazy but I describe myself as passionate!

I was asked to come be a helper for the feast cooking at Kingdom University in Sweden, and that is exactly what I did. The trip there was an adventure of cancelled flights and screw ups, none of them my fault! But I finally arrived on site about quarter to 10 or so Friday night. I had missed the excitement of Alydis and Isabetta being sent to their vigils, Laurel and Pelican respectively. As soon as I checked in though I went straight to the kitchen to see those I would be working with, Erik, Ermingard, Eskill, and Dag. Things were already well under way in the kitchen so I popped out to change and put my stuff away. Once changed I headed back in a bee line back to the kitchen where I started in at once. They went over the menu and the recipes with me and where we were at and what we were doing. I'm not sure about the little things that were done but Friday night we rolled the Dolma. Something it seems I am pretty quick with. We were out around 1 am and most toddled off to the vigils. I spent a bit of time saying Hi to people in the hall and slowly making my way there. It was lovely to have surprised people and to have people waiting for me. So many hugs and so much love!

I ended up heading to bed about quarter to 5 in the morning... having been talking to William! again! (at AiA it was 530 am). I poured myself in bed and sleep came quick. My roommates were mostly quiet and that was quite pleasant. When someone's alarm went off in the morning I peeked at my phone and just rolled over, never even heard them leave. I woke on my own about 9:30 ish and got ready for my day, I was in the kitchen by 10... and off I went.... I was quite good to myself. I remembered liquids and even took a proper break to eat lunch and not just snack my way through as per usual. I sat when needed, and kept a pretty steady pace. It was an early feats, set to start at 1630 but asked that it be pushed to 1700 by the royals. I was asked to sit at high table by the crown Princes, a delight! I love sitting with her.

After getting home I began to wonder if my presence really did any good, I mean did I really help out that much. After listing it all... yes. If nothing else my extra body allowed the pace to be lighter and for people to step out when needed to eat, get a break, see the 'merchants', and whatever else they may have needed. Could they have done it without me, Yes! was it better that I was there, Yes.

Just for my own reference, what I did...

Friday night:
Rolled Dolma

Saturday:
Cut mushrooms
Cut onions and apples
Prepped the beef
Salted the chicken
Spiced the carrots and parsnips
Mixed honey into the cooked cabbage
Wrapped the veal in bacon
Rolled and prepped Plum pies (1/2 of them)
Started the water for the peas
Prepped the dolma for the oven

Along with much fun, conversation and tasting along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment