Friday, February 10, 2012

book 3 p376 rec# 273 To cook stuffed eggs

            It seems tradition at this point to serve filled eggs of some sort at every feast and who am I to buck a tradition like that. These are definitely a twist on it though. Baked in butter and dressed with a sauce made of orange juice i had my doubts but yet again Scappi did not disappoint me.

            Cook eggs as in the previous recipe [hard boil them], but they should be firmer. Shell the, split them in two lenthtwise, and dig out the yolk. Grind it in a mortar with sugar mixed with raisins, pepper, cinnamon, raw egg yolk, a little salt, orange juice, and beaten mint, marjoram, and burnet. Fill the hollow of the egg white with that mixture, then put the eggs, with their filling upwards, into a shallow, lidded tourte pan with enough butter to half cover them. Cook them with fire under and above them. When the mixture has set, serve them dressed with a sauce made of verjuice, sugar, orange juice, and cooked raisins. Alternatively, when they are slightly undercooked, pour over them a sauce made of ground almonds with a little breadcrumbs and raw egg yolks moistened with verjuice, sugar and cinnamon. Bring everything to a boil together, tasting it to see that it is both bitter and sweet. Then serve it rather hot with the sauce over it and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.

            As I am not providing you with the recipe previous to this one (at least not yet) . I have made a note that the eggs should be hard boiled.

My experiment was tasty, even with the absence of the burnet. It is just damned hard to find here and with the weather having set it I didn't get a plant in time but I have a lead on where to get one.

I started with 9 eggs (one didn't survive the boiling and for those outside of Germany, eggs come by the 10). 

I peeled them and cut them, dug out the yolk and placed it in a bowl. My mortar would not have been large enough. I added 3 Tbsp of OJ 2 raw yolks 1-1/2 Tbsp of sugar 1/8 cup of raisins (actually sultanens as I could not find raisins in the store and was out at home) I cut them with a pair of kitchen shears to make them small. I used about 1 tsp each of salt and pepper, 1/2 tsp each of cinnamon and marjoram and only a scant 1/4 tsp of mint (not wanting to overpower anything).

For the size pan we used (not sure how big) we used about 125 gm of butter melted. This was just about enough to half cover them.

Because the oven was occupied by our other experiment we placed the eggs on the middle rach at 180 for about 15 min. When checked we discovered this was not sufficient time at this level in the oven so we switched places of the experiments placing the eggs closer to the bottom. This done they were there 15 more minutes.

We dressed them at the table with plain orange juice as I realized that I left my verjuice at home and had not even remembered to pick up grape juice!

All in all tasty! Will need less time in a hotter oven and I think the burnet will do interesting things for the flavor but like mint will have to be used prudently.



All in all life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment