Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Someone else's rabbit hole

I had a friend reach out to look for a historical provenance  for a modern recipe. Normally I don't work backward that way but after looking up what it was she was looking for I knew I had read something similar already. So I started poking as to what others had to say. Found a redaction but no citation for the original. They cited another cookbook which I imagine supposedly has the referral to the original.

I knew I had seen something so I hit the books, my physical books and there it was. Normally I skip over recipes with nuts as the most common nut in our period is the almond which to me is deadly. I have seen places especially in Italian cooking the use of pine nuts.

I'm happy this hole is leading me cool places and will continue to pursue it. I am looking to see how far back I can go... I'm gonna need help as the earliest origin stories of it has it coming out of Turkey with the crusaders in 1250 or so.


No comments:

Post a Comment