Thursday, January 30, 2020

Inspiration

I arrived in 2002 in Drachenwald. Brimming with excitement, looking forward to a new adventure. I had no clue what lay in store. What happened next ... I let someone steal my sunshine. It happened slowly, and by the time I realized , damage was done. I used to sing and I used to love to sew. I was happy with Elizabethan, I had begun learning in the US before I left. I had confidence and skill, and one day I realised that the confidence was gone, that the spark was gone and worst of all I realised she had won, she had beaten me, taken from me something. I hated sewing.

I wore Landsknecht because he made it for me. I wore it because he wanted me to. I was never comfortable in it. The wool was too hot and heavy, and I always felt frumpy. It was hard to cook in so I wore a shift or shirt and my apron. Slowly I decided on what I wanted, what suited ME. I took my acquired skills and made a new pattern. I used paintings of Italian kitchens as inspiration. I was after functional. Something I could wear and have movement in. I was deep into researching Italian cooking and felt it was the way I wanted to go and when completed I found the garb comfortable.

Recently I found myself overcome with a strange feeling. I am going to a crown event, Coronation, and I'm not cooking. My kids are old enough that I don't worry about them puking on me, or that i'll get messy changing them, or that I need to chase... long list short.. I no longer worry that my kids will trash my garb. It also hit me, I want to be PRETTY damn it! I am still lacking in confidence but I am moving forward with #makeMaggiepretty anyway. I have the drive to do this, I'm terrified but forward and onward.

So far I know the look I am aiming for and the approximate materials I want to use. I am hunting Dupioni, schatung, or taffeta, all silk. I will need cotton canvas for my 'innards' and will look for silk lacing cord. No rings in this one. The style has a small gap in the front of the bodice and is ladder laced. I could do it with rings but will try a different technique.  Forward and onward!

#1 gold lacing, jewelry
#2  The trim and sleeve caps
 #3 sleeves, I'm looking to line mine with velvet not fur

No comments:

Post a Comment