Sunday, January 5, 2020

More than just a recipe

Last year in October I made 3 dishes for feast. One of those dishes was more than just a recipe that would have been served to the table it was a preserving method as well. It was from the Danish cookbook and was a way of preserving meat.

After the event I was able to take a container home with me with both the meat and the liquid. Upon arriving home my idea was to try the meat every so often to see how well it held up as a preservative. At 1 year and 1 month I can state... The meat is still good. The liquid has greatly reduce but it is still edible. The meat itself is quite saturated with the vinegar but there is still good flavor. The texture is a bit soft but that is to be expected after all this time in liquid.

I have kept the 'specimen' in it's container in the fridge, that is to say in it's plastic box. The original recipe of course calls for the meat to be held in a ceramic container in a cool dark place. I don't have a cool dark place so my fridge was the next best thing. I will keep up the experiment but imaging that because the meat is no longer submerged and the container has been opened a few times that it may not last much longer. Though I am highly impressed with the length of time thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment