Monday, November 27, 2023

A recipe from the KU menu Squash Torte

Apparently I made some pretty OK food for Kingdom University a few weeks ago. I will try to put up some of the recipes of the dishes that people spoke about, a lot!

I primarily used the Neapolitan Collection with a few recipes from Libre du Cuccina . The first selection came out with the 3rd course and was modified in only that I was unable to put the pasta layer on the top. 

Grating the squash is important for texture reasons. It really is different than using mashed. I think I will at some point try it with the veal (I can't eat pork) but using butter was perfectly fine.

Another note, I used cream instead of milk and the 'new cheese'. I found this worked well to give me the creaminess.


 Squash torte Neapolitan Collection p. 196 rec 128


Get a good squash, scrape and grate it, and bring it to a boil in fat broth or milk; get a pound of new and old cheese; Get a pound of pork- I mean, pork belly- or veal, boil it until it is well done, then beat it with a knife; if you like, instead of belly you can use good butter or lard, along with half a pound of sugar, ginger and cinnamon, with a beaker of milk and 8 eggs; when the squash is cooked in broth, take it out and strain it; make the mixture yellow with saffron and put it in a pan with moderate fire above and below; when it looks half done, put small lasagne on top; when it is well done, put sugar and rosewater on top.


½ kg butternut

2 oz cheese  I used a combo of emmentaler and parmesan

1 oz cream

1 oz sugar

2 oz butter (soft)

5 g fresh ginger (grated)

½ tsp cinnamon

1 egg


⅓ recipe pasta dough (100g flour + 1 egg)


Grate the butternut squash and boil for about 5 minutes in a good broth (meat or veg)
Drain the squash well, no need to squeeze 
Mix all the ingredients together
Pour into a form

Bake 180  20 min (no convection, just over under heat)

Lay pasta on

Bake for 10  min more


This recipe made a small pie in a 6inch pie form


Notes:

Tasty! Can bump ginger, cream was a good idea. Double to 2 ½ times for a single ‘pie’. if you want to create a meat broth from bouillon I recommend using a 1/2 chicken 1/2 beef and making it slightly strong. If you use commercial broth extra salt is not needed though a pinch would be OK. if you use home made and it is not salted add some salt to the mixture.



No comments:

Post a Comment